The ‘Love of Freedom – Freedom to Love’ conference marks the anniversary of two milestone events in modern LGBT history: the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall rebellion and 20th anniversary of the registered partnership act which Denmark – as the first country in the world – recognised in 1989.
Stonewall literally sparked the ‘coming out’ of millions of men and women of which World Outgames is a glorious manifestation. This movement is by many regarded as the beginning of the ‘modern’ LGBT history, a history which in many countries is still very new and highly dependent on more and more brave people who stand up and fight for LGBT rights. This theme is about celebrating our stories of courage, knowing our historical battles and learning from these on our future road to equality.
The following are examples of issues that could be addressed in the LGBT history theme:
- LGBT heritage: stories of courage and inspiration
- Groundbreakers tackling homophobia in different contexts
- LGBT movements and researchers
- Celebrating our pioneers
- How did the LGBT movement start in different parts of the world?
- Anthology on LGBT history
- Oral history